Special Message

This blog is dedicated to every woman, and especially horsewomen, who started their motherhood journey a little later than most. If you feel like your story is a theatrical event and you've just begun the 2nd act, then this blog is for you. This blog will communicate what I have learned from growing up a suburban latch key kid, to marrying a cowboy-at-heart, to relocating and raising our daughter in the heart of Rocky Mountain country.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Thanks for asking, but NO I do NOT qualify for the senior discount...

...a.k.a. why my Silver Fox Odyssey has ended!


Do I look anywhere NEAR senior discount age?

It is one of those dilemmas that most women have to face at some point in their lives (and most men don't understand).  Grey hair.  To go "Silver Fox", au naturelle, grey and gorgeous.....whatever you want to call it.  

I tried, I really did.  

If you have been following my posts at all, you know that I have been trying to grow out my natural hair, which includes a lot of grey for my age (I am in my early 40's).  I felt empowered by other women and their silver journeys.  If you are on this "journey" you know very well that it is an emotional roller coaster!  For a wonderful support blog for this "change of life" (and yes, boys, it is THAT BIG OF A DEAL to us of the feminine gender) I suggest you visit +Lauren at 

For me, the journey has ended.  For now, at least.  I had been fighting through the "skunk line" 2" growth, the "candy corn" hair look (because, in part, I had 4-5 different colors on different lengths of hair), the thinner grey hairs, even the "oh....you started your family LATER IN LIFE" rude comments.  

But there was one comment that did me in.  Yep, it was ONE....SMALL....COMMENT.  Said innocently enough.  I was in a beauty supply store, buying semi-permanent clear gloss with daughter in tow (who, by the way, was very clearly calling me MOMMA, not grandma).  When we went to ring out at the register, the sales associate asked me, "You don't qualify for the senior discount, do you?"  And that. WAS. THAT!

I don't care what anyone thinks of my vanity.  I had had enough.  I realized at that point that this Silver Fox was looking simply like an old grey mare.  And I couldn't accept that.  I was done with anyone mistaking me for Charlie's grandma.  I am not emotionally ready for that. 

I think, in my particular case, my aged look had to do mostly with my redhead background.  I am too light in complexion and get washed out too easily (which ages us terribly!).  I tried wigs with the goal of covering up while the grey grows out - nope, not for me!  I tried gently glossing the greys with a little blonde, washable color - also a no go.  It all just looked silly. Too obvious a cover-up.  The color crayons worked for a while, but once the growth was a good 2-3" out it was too much work!

The picture above was taken today.  I am not wearing ANY makeup.  I visited a salon last week that put Goldwell brand semi-permanent color (washes out in 6-9 washes) on as a base (using my natural dark as a color match) and some blonde and caramel highlights in the front only.  I walked out of the salon looking - and feeling - 10 years younger.  

The cost of coloring is still a factor for me, and we will see where that leads me in the next few months.  But I love getting ready in the morning again!  I love walking out the door in my bling jeans and cute tops.  Simply put, I love my hair.  It really, really means that much to me and to many (most?) other women too.  



With love (and brown hair!) - Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment