Special Message

This blog is dedicated to every woman, and especially horsewomen, who started their motherhood journey a little later than most. If you feel like your story is a theatrical event and you've just begun the 2nd act, then this blog is for you. This blog will communicate what I have learned from growing up a suburban latch key kid, to marrying a cowboy-at-heart, to relocating and raising our daughter in the heart of Rocky Mountain country.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Silver Fox - The Dilemma of the Wig


OK, so here is a recent picture of the "progress" made in the attempt to go "au naturel".  I happen to think it looks significantly better than the orange popsicle look from April!  LOL

Now, only a minor "skunklet" look, easily covered
Here is the orange look that I hated and that started this whole silver movement into motion:

YUCK!
(So, I know that this picture isn't really THAT bad......it was professionally done, so that helps a lot.  But that orange was so ugly, so unnatural and harsh.)

Yep, I have a stripe.  Yep, it is a little challenging.  But I have found a product that I really like to help camouflage the skunky look.  Here's the link:   Mimic hair makeup for grey hair.   It works so well! :-) The only complaint I have about it is it feels a little chalky, but I am super sensitive so I think the "average" user wouldn't notice.  And the chalky feel isn't so annoying that it would cause me to stop using the product. This stuff would work great, even if you aren't going to go grey but just want something that works in between root touch ups!  

I wish I had an exceptional shot where you can see the look with the Mimic product on my hair, but I wore a hat for most of this summer so I lack good (and hatless) pictures.  ;-) I will try to focus on that for the next post.

It helps that my hair has "layers" of color in it, including (but not limited to....) blonde, light brown, grey, red, strawberry blonde and dark brown.  

Hubby LOVES the grey - tells me that all the time, and he is being genuine (i.e. says it without any prompting!  Haha!).  I am blown away by that, and must admit that his "approval" makes this process easier.  

Most days I am fine with the grow out.  I usually wear a feminine baseball cap or a cowboy hat and when I don't I can cover up the line easily enough at this point.  But I can see it is going to get more difficult, as the line creeps further south and yet isn't far enough along to go with a shorter hairstyle. Hubby won't go for a short cut so I am starting to look at hair falls and other "alternative" hair options ---- yes, A WIG!  I found some that are...intriguing. 



The plus - I can go any color and I can cut/shape a wig to any style I like. Some are even heat resistant so they can be curled with a low set curling iron.  I can also be "someone else" for a day!  ;-)  Maybe hubby would like that?!  Heh heh.  

The minus - it is a wig....a WIG....hmm, am I ok with that?  There is a certain stigma attached to wigs, less so in big cities but definitely in the "small town" community where I live.  The notion that only women who "need wigs" (insert inappropriate stereotype here) wear them is most certainly alive and well in rural Montana!  Can I rise above that?  I like to think so, but I am considering the wig in the first place because of my own insecurities regarding my hair.  That fact is unavoidable.  Would a wig actually ADD to those insecurities?  

To be continued (soon, I hope!)......





No comments:

Post a Comment