Special Message

This blog is dedicated to every woman, and especially horsewomen, who started their motherhood journey a little later than most. If you feel like your story is a theatrical event and you've just begun the 2nd act, then this blog is for you. This blog will communicate what I have learned from growing up a suburban latch key kid, to marrying a cowboy-at-heart, to relocating and raising our daughter in the heart of Rocky Mountain country.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

How could I have said no to THAT?


Dating hubby was so much fun!  He had a glass top C3 Corvette and we met in July.  Heh heh - yeah, you know exactly what were my priorities!!    Another reason why I love Colorado so much, is that is where I met, dated and fell in love with hubby.  It is where we first said "I love you."  (He said it first and I wasn't quite confident enough to say it in return, so I answered "Thank you."  I tell ya, I am just not the quickest car on the track.)  And where our entire engagement took place.  Well, that's not entirely true.  Our entire engagement did not take place on the ground.  It began in the air.

We had only been dating for about 5 months when we both knew we were going to get engaged.  It was just so right, we were both outgoing, fun-loving, outdoorsy and shared our emotions freely. (Little did we know that meant we were both certifiable, Type A problem children with tempers to match.  Let me put it this way - I am surprised we both lived through our first year of marriage, much less stayed married.)  By the time the sixth month (December) had rolled around and he hadn't asked me yet, I was starting to get a little nervous.

Could he possibly have changed his mind and didn't want to get married now, or maybe at all, or (the worst of my worries) to me??

I already had my ring all picked out (for heaven's sake, I worked in a jewelry store at the time...what was I supposed to do in between customers other than find the perfect ring?), my wedding colors decided, even my bridesmaids and their dresses chosen (and, I will shamefully admit, my dress bought).  He is going to ask me...he just has to ask me...if he doesn't ask me soon I am going to DIE!  I was out a $600 dress if he didn't.

Anyone that has worked retail in December can tell you, it's nuts.  I have worked in several retail environments, and jewelry - in December - was hands down the craziest.  I swear, nobody buys anything until the LAST last minute, so by the 21st I was exhausted, and just a little distracted.  That might explain why I wasn't even slightly curious when my friends invited David and me to a high end restaurant for a dinner "celebrating their remodel finish."  We were all really, really poor...going to a restaurant of this caliber was reserved for only the most memorable of occasions.  Like, oh......I don't know......an ENGAGEMENT?!?!  Duh.  But I was blissfully unaware.

Side note - My friends were driving, and more specifically Lee, the husband, who is a very affable and easy going kind of guy.  We were running a little late, and so hubby (to be) asked Lee to go a little faster.  Down the highway we go....speed limit about 65, Lee going about 70-75.  But...every time we all started talking and Lee would join in, he would also start to let off the accelerator.  68.....65.....63.........By the time we actually made it to the restaurant, hubby (to be) and Allison, Lee's wife, were both close to having coronaries!! 

So...we get to the restaurant, we are late for our reservation and it is the busiest time of the year for them....finally we get seated and order.  At almost the exact same moment that our appetizers arrive, a guy in a puffy blue winter vest shows up at our table and asks me, "Are you Denise N?" "Um......yeah......" "Your helicopter chariot awaits you, ma'am."  WHAT?!


Yep.  The reason we had to go to this particular restaurant (almost an hour away) was because it had a helipad.  We bundle back up (and forego dinner, which was really tough because we were all very, very hungry!), walk outside, and climb into the waiting helicopter!  (OK, so yes...by now I am fully aware something is up.) As we ascend and turn right, hubby (to be) starts giving Mr. Blue Vest directions.  Go north, fly over Kipling (Avenue), a little further, and....yeah, right about here.  Lee and Allison are running a video camera, and I look out the window....to see, written in white lights in the snow...."Will you marry me?"

And I was immediately breathless!  

to be continued...