Special Message

This blog is dedicated to every woman, and especially horsewomen, who started their motherhood journey a little later than most. If you feel like your story is a theatrical event and you've just begun the 2nd act, then this blog is for you. This blog will communicate what I have learned from growing up a suburban latch key kid, to marrying a cowboy-at-heart, to relocating and raising our daughter in the heart of Rocky Mountain country.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Facing up to reality (aka "As the Grey Grows")......

*******UPDATE: I USED THE FOAM IN COLOR, AND NOW HAVE PURPLE HAIR...........GRRR.......TO BE CONTINUED*******

I just don't know if I am ready for so much reality being thrown at me!  Perhaps I am just not that strong.  I imagine myself as Wonder Woman - forever in that hot unitard with the shiny gold belt and those curly, perfect auburn tresses.
 Perfect = Auburn.  Grey = NOT.  

I.AM.NOT.WONDER.WOMAN.

I tried on a couple wigs this last week, to test out what I look like as a full fledged "silver fox".....


I feel like a grey turtle.  No offense meant to turtles.

I looked in the mirror and saw my mom staring back at me.  No offense meant to my mom, either.  It's just, my mother is 72.  Thirty years older than I am.  Up until now, I thought I would grow out this grey and be the hip, stylish mom who wasn't afraid to rock her natural hair.  And still be perceived as young(ish).  The reality?  The grey is aging me, very (very) quickly.  


In the last month I have heard "Oh, you started your family later in life, huh?"  a half dozen times.  Prior to this grey grow-out, I had never heard that.  NOT ONCE. Could it be just a cruel coincidence?  

Which reminds me.....it is JUST PLAIN RUDE to say that to any mom!  Please read this question and answer link:


Back to my question....cruel coincidence?  Maybe.  I admit that I actually like a few of my grow out shots above.  Especially the one in the middle!  Haha, I am a silver rock star!!  ;-)  And before I was growing out the grey I admit I did get called Charlie's grandma. But only once, and by someone who had an obviously limited perceptive ability.  They are fully forgiven.  

As I analyze the grey look, the real me, and the (however unfair it may be) perception of grey hair...I keep coming to the same awful conclusion.  I am not 50, or 60, or 72.  I am 42.  What do I need to do to look, and feel, 42?  

I want to look like +Lauren Stein  - click here for her blog - who still looks the beautiful late thirties that she is! 
 Not....happening....

I know there is inevitably some out there who are saying (and sighing), "Geez!  You are only as old as you feel, so....get over it, be 42.  No matter what your hair color is, just deal with it.  If you don't like it, color it.  Either way, we don't want to hear you whine.  There are bigger problems in life!"

Yes, indeed.  There are bigger problems in life.  But in my life, at this very moment, this "minor problem" is becoming a major obstacle to my daily joie de vivre.  I am faced with the question of "can I accept this reality" every time I see the bathroom mirror (which, with a 3-year-old who is in "advanced" potty training mode - there is an oxymoron -, is about 10 times every hour).  

I was made fully aware that the grow-out period, especially where I am right now (about 4" of outgrowth) is really, really tough.  I haven't given up, not just yet.  Next step is a color-in foam product.  Going to try:


I found it at my local Sally Beauty Supply, so I will be posting pics shortly of the finished look. After all, this IS a blog about the experience.  Good, bad...or even ugly, if that is how it turns out!  ;-)  But, this has gotten good reviews....so we shall see.

<<<<< STAY TUNED >>>>>




No comments:

Post a Comment